This article lists everything that is known about Starbound so far, collected from official sources and developer statements. A larger list can be found on the forums. Don't take everything on this list as 100% confirmed.
Feel free to add anything that you've unearthed, but please cite your sources! Unsourced claims may be challenged or removed.
 Release & distribution
- Starbound is set to be released at some point in Q2 2013.
- Starbound is written in C++ and will run natively on the three major platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- It will likely release on Steam, taking advantage of Steamworks features. The distribution method for Linux will most likely be the steam linux client.
- Pre-ordering is available here. Pre-ordering gives you access to the beta once released. Prices start at $15 and go up in tiers to $2000.
- Starbound will feature multiplayer, both cooperative and PVP.
- The entire game can be experienced with other players.
- Difficulty will scale to the number of players on a planet.
- Servers can be configured to allow pre-existing characters to join, or force players to start a new one.
 Gameplay & controls
- Money (currency: Pixels) will play a huge role in Starbound.
- The penalty for dying has not yet been determined, but it will likely be a monetary loss.
- An optional food/hunger meter.
- Combat in Starbound will be tactical, relying on teamwork movement.
- There will be a shield/blocking mechanic.
- Being hit while blocking causes a bit of damage that can be recovered unless you are hit.
- Attacking after blocking a few attacks causes a stronger counter-attack.
 Not in the game
These features have explicitly been confirmed as not being in the game.