A race is a species of sentient organisms in Starbound. There are seven races the Player can choose to play as, and many others that populate the planets throughout the universe. Cats, frogs and penguins are some examples of non-playable races.
These seven races are currently playable according to released character creation screens.
- Human: Humans are simple space explorers, and come from Earth.
- Avian: Avians are bird-like humanoids who worship their deity, Kluex, the Winged God of the Aether.
- Apex: Apex are ape-like humanoids that traded their physical appearance for the sake of intelligence.
- Floran: Floran are plant-based humanoids and are known for their aggressive nature.
- Hylotl: Hylotl are fish-like humanoids who value peace and prosperity.
- Glitch: Glitch are robotic humanoids created by an unknown race, long ago.
- Novakid: Glowing Cowboyish people composed of solar gasses contained by a supercharged metal brand on their face.
Races will not have major gameplay differences, but may have different crafting recipes or starting gear, which may grant different bonuses.
Racial Armor Bonuses (This feature was scrapped during development.)
Full armor sets would have been required to get these bonus.
- Human: Allows you to carry more items, which "possibly" might change
- Avian: Allows you to glide
- Apex: Allows you to jump higher, maybe run faster
- Floran: Allows you to convert sunlight into extra energy
- Hylotl: Allows you to breathe underwater and swim faster
- Glitch: Allows you to mine faster
|Glitch Male||Hylotyls Male||Floran Male||Apex Male||Human Male||Avian Male|
|Glitch Female||Hylotyls Female||Floran Female||Apex Female||Human Female||Avian Female|