Known so far
This article lists everything that is known about Starbound so far, collected from official sources and developer statements. A larger list can be found on the forums. Don't take everything on this list as 100% confirmed.
Feel free to add anything that you've unearthed, but please cite your sources! Unsourced claims may be challenged or removed.
Release & distribution
- The Starbound Beta launches 4 December, 2013 via Steam.
- Official release date is unknown.
- Starbound is written in C++ and will run natively on the three major platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- It will release on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux, taking advantage of Steamworks features.
- Pre-ordering is available here. Pre-ordering gives you access to the beta. Prices start at $15 and go up in tiers to $2000.
- Starbound will feature multiplayer, both cooperative and PVP.
- The entire game can be experienced with other players.
- Difficulty will scale to the number of players on a planet.
- Servers can be configured to allow pre-existing characters to join, or force players to start a new one.
Gameplay & controls
- Money (currency: Pixels) will play a huge role in Starbound.
- The penalty for dying is a loss of 30% of Pixels.
- An optional food/hunger meter.
- Combat in Starbound will be tactical, relying on teamwork movement.
- There will be a shield/blocking mechanic.
- Being hit while blocking causes a bit of damage that can be recovered unless you are hit.
- Attacking after blocking a few attacks causes a stronger counter-attack.
Not in the game
These features have explicitly been confirmed as not being in the game.
- Item durability. *ITEM DURABILITY HAS BEEN CONFIRMED* (experience)
- Microtransactions (ie, a Cash Shop).